Canada Student Grants

Grants, bursaries and scholarships help you pay for your post-secondary education by giving you money that does not need to be paid back. They can be offered through governments, schools or private organizations.

Canada Student Grants

Canada Student Grants provide money for college or university that you don’t need to pay back. It is easy to apply for them. These grants are given to students at the beginning and in the middle of the school year.

Canada Student Grants are available to students from most provinces and territories except those from the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Quebec. These governments have their own programs.

When you apply for student financial assistance, your eligibility for most Canada Student Grants will automatically be assessed. You may be able to get more than one grant at a time.

What Canada Student Grants are available?

Provincial and territorial grants and bursaries

Provinces and territories offer grant and bursary programs for their permanent residents. Check with your province or territory’s student financial assistance office to learn about their grant and bursary programs.

Other grants

Canada Student Loans, Canada Student Grants and provincial and territorial grants and bursaries aren’t the only ways to help pay for school. Here are a few other options available to students in Canada:

Apprenticeship grants for on-the-job training

If you have completed your first or second year of an apprenticeship program in a Red Seal trade and you qualify, you could get an Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG). Although you don’t have to pay this grant back, you will have to pay tax on it. Check the AIG deadline.

If you have completed your Red Seal certificate or your provincial or territorial Certificate of Qualification, you may still be able to get a $2,000 Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG). Check the ACG deadline to apply.

Money to study abroad

The following Web sites offer more information on scholarships, grants and bursaries for students in Canada who want to study outside of Canada: