Steps to Opening an RESP
It's not difficult! Just follow these 2 simple steps.
- Get a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- You must have one for yourself and one for your child.
- There's no fee. However, certain documents, such as a birth certificate, are required.
- Choose an RESP provider that best suits your needs.
RESP providers include:
- most financial institutions, such as banks or credit unions
- group plan dealers, and
- certified financial planners.
See a list of RESP Providers.
Note: It is very important to choose the right type of RESP plan you want to open.
- It's not difficult. Your financial institution will help you decide.
- Start by visiting Choosing the Right RESP.
Shop around to find the RESP plan that best suits your needs. Consult these Questions for RESP Providers before you choose an RESP provider.
If you need more information:
- contact 1 800 O-Canada (1 800 622-6232),
- if you use a TTY, call 1 800 926-9105, or
- visit a Service Canada Centre near you